Over the past couple of days, I’ve been super busy with my yoga teacher training program at Downward Dog Yoga Centre. By the end of a long day of classes, I always feel energized and excited, but also a bit wound up and in need of some relaxation.
Lately, I’ve been treating myself to weekly relaxation routines. I give myself the gift of an afternoon to myself for reading, meditating and taking it easy, and it’s such a beautiful time.
I usually start with a warm epsom salt bath, and then I retreat to my bedroom for reading and relaxing. I’ve found that there are a few things I like to do to make my room more warm and inviting, making the whole experience that much sweeter.
1. Turning on my Saje nebulizer. You might think I’m getting paid to talk about Saje products on my blog, but I’m not: I truly just love my nebulizer that much! Not only does it look so beautiful, but it also cleans the air, emits a lovely aroma and humidifies the space. Everyone needs one of these babies in their room!
2. De-cluttering. Before I redecorated my room, it was a complete pig stye. I would leave all my clothes strewn around my bed and chair for weeks on end until the whole space became an ocean of dirty laundry. Since I gave the room a new look, I care way more about how it looks, and I make a point of keeping it simple and de-cluttered. This way, the room feels calm and clean instead of stressful and overwhelming.
3. Getting the lighting just right. Lighting plays a big role in your mood: harsh, bright lighting can feel stressful and intense, while dim lighting creates a calm atmosphere conducive to sleep. I love turning down the dimmer on my light switch halfway and lighting candles so the whole room has a beautiful, soft glow.
4. Turning on soft, relaxing music. I love listening to nature sounds or melodious meditation music while I read, nap or do yoga. Background sound can help you tune out the rest of the world as you settle in for some me time.
5. Adding flowers and crystals. To me, no room is complete without these lovely objects. Fresh blooms and minerals bring in positive life force energy, uplifting the vibes in your space and beautifying everything.
How do you make your room feel like a sanctuary?