“We must see that peace represents a sweeter music, a cosmic melody, that is far superior to the discords of war.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Every time I turn around, it seems like there’s another piece of concrete evidence about the link between stress and disease, or more broadly, the link between the mind and the body. Allowing yourself to relax and be at peace is one of the best gifts you can give yourself, especially in a world that’s often overstimulated, overworked and unhappy.
I’ve been reading a lot about different ways to bring more peace into your life, and I’ve already found that I feel much more calm and positive as a result. Below, I’m sharing five methods I’ve been using to bring more peace into my day-to-day and let go of stressful thought patterns and habits:
- Tune into how you feel. One of the most obvious yet most overlooked ways to de-stress is to first know that you’re stressed. It’s easy to go through life with a negative thought pattern on replay in your head without even realizing it. Before you do anything, take five minutes to lie down somewhere quiet and think about how you feel. Are you tight or tense anywhere? Is your breathing obstructed? If so, chances are that you’re probably thinking about something that makes you feel uneasy.
- Once you’ve identified them, transmute your negative thoughts and feelings into positive ones. Don’t think too hard about this: just find the feeling in your body and send love, light and forgiveness to it. You’ll know how to do this intuitively.
- Breathe deeply and smoothly, counting your inhales and exhales. There are countless breathing techniques you can try to feel more mindful and relaxed, but if you’re new to this idea, just start by noticing the breath and making sure it’s deep, even and flowing.
- If something or someone in your life is making it difficult for you to feel peaceful, let it go. It’s important to try to be happy no matter what your circumstances are, but sometimes, the best decision is to let go of whoever or whatever is putting a damper on your peace. Sometimes, it can be as simple as finding a new way to exercise that you love, or choosing to cancel your weekend plans. Whatever it is, it’s OKAY to let it go — I’m giving you permission!
- Remember that everything is always unfolding perfectly. Nothing can ever or has ever happened in the wrong way. In other words, whatever has happened, is happening, or is going to happen is perfect and will ultimately lead you to peace and happiness. I know this can be tough to believe sometimes, but everything always works out for the best!
How do you bring peace into your everyday life? Let me know in the comments!