It’s all too easy to lose sight of this idea, and sometimes we don’t know we’re thinking negatively until we find ourselves buried in a dark hole of despair with no way out. Whether you’re absorbing someone else’s negative energies, feeling insecure, or choosing to believe that the universe is a bad place, darkness can creep up on us easily–especially for those who are highly sensitive or empathetic.
Life will never be perfect. There will always be someone with more money, a smaller butt, or a bigger house than you. There will be struggles and tough times, illness and death, but at the end of the day, there is always something to be happy about. Keep focusing on the light in the world, and the universe will give you more of it.
To get you started, here are five things to feel joyful about right now:
1. Nature. No matter my mood, turning to nature never fails to make me feel better. I find that spending even just a few minutes with the sunshine on my face or sitting under a tree really helps to uplift my thoughts and infuse my spirit with positive energy. Plants, flowers, trees, animals, water, and everything else in the natural world are truly our friends, and they can be so deeply healing when you let in their calming influence.
2. Children and animals. You can’t help but feel a smile come to your face when you look at a cute photo of a puppy or a baby because they are truly gifts from heaven. Pure innocence and joy, animals and babies will never fail to help you see the hope in the world and keep going despite negative thoughts.
3. Love. Sometimes, it can feel like there is no real love left in the world, but when you think about it, love is the only thing that really exists. Love is the driving energetic force behind everything pure, beautiful, and magical in the world, and there is more than enough to go around. If you’re ever feeling lost, lonely, or sad, take a moment to sit in stillness and focus on love. Focus on how love feels, looks, sounds, and tastes. Think about all the people in your life who you truly love and who love you, and think about how much the universe loves you. The more you focus on love, the more it will multiply in your life, and the more joyful you will feel.
4. Freedom. While sometimes it feels like we’re trapped inside the confines of our bodies, our jobs, our lifestyles, or even our relationships, it’s important to remember that at any given moment, we are free to make any decision we want. Despite everything, our free will is the one thing that we can hold onto no matter what, and I think this should be celebrated. I find it so refreshing to think that we are truly and one hundred per cent free to think, act, say, dress, and be who we want to be in this life, and no one can tell us differently. If you ever feel trapped or stifled, think about this and remember that you always have a choice.
5. Beauty. “Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy,” Anne Frank. It’s easy to turn off our senses and look around at our surroundings as if they’re nothing special, or worse, keep our eyes glued to our phones without even looking at the world outside. But there truly is so much beauty to be appreciated, from the bright fall foliage, to an attractive passerby, to the majestic church you pass by on your commute every day. Sometimes I just watch the clouds go by, revealing the sun’s rays and creating dreamy, pearl-white patterns against the powder blue sky. Nature aside, there is so much beauty to be found through music, literature, movies, and even clothes. Art comes directly from the artist’s soul, which makes all art automatically beautiful. Experiencing a moving song, painting, or film is such a treat and definitely something to be joyful about. Open your eyes to the world around you and you just might see that there is beauty everywhere, just waiting to be noticed.
What’s one thing in the world that makes you feel truly joyful?
Did you like this post? Share it with your BFFs on social!