Motivation is the key to consistency in every area of your life. Without motivation, it can be easy to get stuck in a rut and fall into a never-ending cycle of inaction and frustration.
I know that when I lose my motivation, it makes it 100 times harder to follow through with anything, whether it’s a workout, a daily writing practice or eating right. The less motivation you have, the less disciplined you’ll be, which will only lead to low self esteem and a bad case of the “poor mes.”
Getting motivated to make a change is one thing, but staying motivated is another altogether. If you’re feeling stuck, here are five of my favourite ways to get motivated:
1. Remember your “why.” Often, our daily routines can start to feel forced, repetitive and pointless. If you’re just going through the motions without remembering why you started in the first place, you’ll be on the fast track to Quitsville in no time. Every time you feel unmotivated to meditate, exercise or make healthy food choices, remember the reason why you wanted to make a change in the first place.
2. Read inspiring and motivating books, articles and social media accounts. Fill your mind with positivity and ignore all the negative noise to keep your vibes high and your thoughts pure. You can choose to believe whatever you want, so why not choose to believe that you can succeed and that the world is a beautiful place full of love and compassion?
3. Make the first move. That first step is the hardest one you’ll take, but as you gain momentum you’ll be unstoppable. Take a leap of faith and trust that you’ll be happier once you make an effort to live a healthy lifestyle. For example, the first couple of days cutting out sugar feel impossible, but once you get over that initial hurdle, it’s all downhill from there.
4. Take control over your emotions. No person or situation can make you feel sad, scared or upset. Everything you feel is a result of your perception and the way you’re choosing to view the world. Keep your emotional field calm and clear by engaging in self-love acts daily like warm baths, reading, meditating and yoga. Wellness isn’t just about eating clean and killing it in the gym; it’s also about staying happy, positive and relaxed despite the chaos. Getting enough sleep is also hugely important here, because who feels motivated when they’re exhausted?
5. Let go of perfectionism. The biggest mistake I’ve been making along my wellness journey is giving up when I have one slip-up. We are all human and we all make mistakes, you can’t beat yourself up over it! Getting right back on the horse after a slip up is way more beneficial than throwing the baby out with the bath water, and you’ll feel motivated by your own sense of discipline.
I’m writing this post to remind myself and you!) that it IS worth it to put in a little extra effort for the sake of your health and happiness. As tempting as it can be to fall off the horse, you’ll feel better every single time if you make the healthy choice and put your health first.
How do you stay motivated? Let me know in the comments!